What I Did At The Weekend

18 January 2010

This weekend, I went to see Avatar in 3D and in English at the cinema in Potsdammer Platz. Apart from the dialogue, which felt a little cut and paste, the experience was brilliant. 3D is the future. I was thinking about the sound though. When they can make the sound 3D it will seal the whole thing. You get glasses that have headphones built in, or maybe that sit over the ears so there is no pain. Anyways the sets and CGI in Avatar were some of the best I have seen in along time. I feel bad that Star Wars 1, 2 and 3 came at a time when CGI was still pretty rubbish.

One of my favourite Sci-Fi movies is Bladerunner.

Another

perfect

movie

(note at the end of this clip we mimmicked the swooping sound in the Van Gelis soundtrack in the Travis song ‘Colder‘)

15 Responses to “What I Did At The Weekend”

1. Seth Piper says:

I completely agree with you about the Star Wars prequels, but I have to say that the Lord of the Rings trilogy had fantastic CG effects and they came out at the same time as Star Wars. I think George Lucas’ Industrial Light and Magic was just behind on the technology. Looking forward to the solo record, if it is half as good as J. Smith it will be gold. Cheers.

2. Peter says:

Cool. I saw Avatar over the weekend too. I thought the same about the script vs. the visuals. I found it took 5-10 mins for my brain to adjust to the 3d, and then about the same to adjust back afterwards. That 5-10 mins after was cool.

3. Andrea says:

Hi Fran! I agree on Avatar, the experience is great. Cameron already started winning, yesterday he won 2 golden globe awards.
    About our weekend..I´m from Chile and we had presidential elections yesterday, in which the right wing Sebastian Piñera won. It is the first right and conservative president after Pinochet. Personally I don´t like him, nor his party or his ideas. He is also a very rich man, who owns LAN airlines and a TV channel. In my opinion, not very compatible with public service.
    Anyway…the process was perfectly democratic so that´s good at least, we´ll have to bear him and hope he will be trustworthy
    Fran Said “Democracy is good but it all boils down to marketing and a big part of marketing is spend…”

4. Soju says:

Such a great movie Blade Runner, made me start smoking. How about “Brazil”?

5. Tracy says:

So, i had a rare weeknd off work :0
    I work in retail, a Front End manager in a supermarket and weekend days off are usually unheard of!
    So I chose to spend it doing…………..not much of anything!
    On Saturday I went shopping for my husband’s 40th Birthday gift, visited a small Scottish store in a small town and treated us to some British stuff like Heinz Soup, Beetroot and JAFFA CAKES! I did find a nice gift too :)
    Sunday we celebrated by ordering in a nice Indian takeaway, Birthday cake and Corona’s.
    Happy Bday Eddie!

6. Krocas says:

I saw Blade Runner because of its OST. What a masterpiece by Vangelis!!!
    (I can’t believe it came out almost 30 years ago. It makes me feel really old. :() I still love to listen to Vangelis, especially his work with Jon Anderson. Several months ago, I saw Jon Anderson’s very recent gig on TV and was so glad when I heard his voice still pure and sharp as before.

7. Amy Humphrey says:

I found out Avatar was in 3D only AFTER I’d seen it in boring old 2D. Serves me right for being a hermit.

8. joss says:

You really love scifi movies! I like a little scifi, for example movie I Am Legend with Will Smith is very good and I like it so much, expecially scenes where he drives around streets where are no people..the end of world is the best!

9. Katie says:

Oh, I’m really wanting to see Avatar but our local cinemas don’t show any films in 3D… so we’ll have to wait until it comes out on DVD when we can get a better experience from it in our own home cinema than what is currently being offered. Hopefully I won’t need to wait too long!! So instead I took my daughter to see The Princess and the Frog and sat in a practically empty room (it meant that no one else was there to get annoyed when my daughter suddenly decided to be spontaneous and dance in front of her seat to the music :o)

10. Nana says:

Blade Runner was Great!!
    Whenever you say something like that(Blade Runner…Wings Of Desire…),I feel we live in the same age! XP I saw these movies when i was a college student. they were premiered in 1993, in S.Korea :D

11. champersnova says:

BLADE RUNNER! Best of Ridley Scott. Love it. It’is one of 23 posters on my wall. Ahem. Speaking of Sci-fi; I’d like to hail Back to the Future triology too… Long live McFly!!!
    And and and 2046!!! A must to see. The music and everything; real inspiration.

12. pcg says:

Blade Runner is a movie I like to see every year or so, as it is SO rich in imagery and subtle details. Really ahead of its time. Other great sci-fi: Alien, Sunshine (2007), A Scanner Darkly (another Phillip K Dick book, what a genius), Serenity, 12 Monkeys…

For the record, my weekend was spent (among other things) bottling my Nut Brown Ale and starting my Playa Porter in the fermenter. Fran, you’ll have to have a couple with me when you’re touring out in Los Angeles. :-)
    Fran said ” As long as there is no meat floating in it then you can put me down”

13. During the movie, I was momentarily messed up by many of the similar things that have been mentioned here, overall, I forgot them as my enjoyment progressed. Even the heavy-handed expression of commercialism or the “over-zealous military commander” were accepted as being a critical part of the film.But there one little thing that (oddly enough, I guess) irritated me. I had no way to go back and view it after, but I’m pretty sure that when the Colonel was killed, he took his hands off the robot controls, trying to remove the arrow/bolt. Yet, with the Colonel’s death, the robot TOPPLED OVER! I would have expected such a machine just to simply stop moving and stand there.

14. I prefer Mad Max. Must be the boy in me with the cars, motorcycles and all.

15. According to my own investigation, millions of persons on our planet receive the mortgage loans from well known banks. Thence, there’s good chances to receive a financial loan in every country.