Friday Question Time

12 February 2010

Ok so it’s low fi today as I am still in deep writing mode.

Q1 from Kairamon… How do you feel about strangers approaching you because of fame & music, what kind of encounters do you enjoy?

A1… I don’t mind people approaching. It’s cool. The only time that it’s a pain is when I am doing animal things… basic stuff… like if I was having a pee and the guy standing next to me is like “Hey you’re that guy…Ahhh…It’s you… I love Why Does It Always Rain On Me”  and he’s splashing all over the place… encounters I enjoy would be umm really anything that doesn’t involve someone peeing on me.

Q2 from Pocketchange 78…Your last postings show ABBA & MJ w/different lyrics than released. Which Travis songs started out as something different?

A2… Nice question… here is an example of pre lyrics… click to make bigger.

Q3 from ALLYXIS What is your favourite brand of clothes?

A3 There is a  french company called A.P.C. which I wear all the time.  I also like a japanese company called 45 rpm

Q4 HArtyLFC…I know you’re a wellknown Celtic supporter. Did you catch the match? Thought Keane looked sharp but was unlucky. C’mon you hoops!

A4  I think not having football fans around me whilst growing up left me not really bothering as an adult.  If was to chose a team i would chose celtic. I always liked their spirit. They always seemed more noble than other teams, fighters. And the green and white strips always looked so cool. But I have no idea what is going on in football. I also hated that if you were catholic it would be celtic and if you were protestant it would be rangers. It’s all indoctrinated. I liked Partick Thistle too because the name is attractive. Footballers and sports people facinate me. It is very difficult to make it to the top of your trade if you are a sports person… there is a lot of dedication there which I really admire.

Q5 Cynthiaolguin … Her husband wonders Blur or Oasis…

A5 Oasis all the way.

Q6 Yauami … I’d like to know about why you chose some of your cover versions over the years. Lets start with Back In Black…

A6 Back in Black was borne from working with a great producer called Niko Bolas. He taught us how to play, how to rock and used ACDC as his example of how one should rock if that is what one wishes to do. I wrote All I Want To Do Is Rock after being inspired by this man. Most covers arrive because we ran out of songs for b sides. This was back when bands had to put 4 b sides out when they released a single and if you were releasing 4 or 5 singles, you were using up alot of material.

q7 minacco …Do you like taking photos? What kind of cameras do you use? I use Richo CX2 and i Phone. sometimes toy-camera like fisheye :)

A I love photography and I take pics. I use a Canon 5dMarkii as an slr and the ricoh GR2 digital as a handheld. The Ricoh is amazing. It was suggested to me by David Bailey. I have the Ricoh GR which is the 35mm version. This is one of the best point and shoot cameras ever.

Q8 What`s the difference between Healy`s solo album and a Travis one? After all you are the lead singer / song writer in the band ?

A8 Did I answer this already. If I did then apologies… I guess it’s just my songs played by some other people. I have always written about what is going on in my life whether it be falling in love, being chucked, having a child. I was told by the above producer Niko Bolas to write about what I knew, so that is what I do. The style of playing in Travis has always been dictated by the song that arrives. Some bands jam out and have all these sections of music to add lyrics and melody to. We have never been that kind of band.

Q9  fran why are you wearing felt hat recently? i always think you can bring mohawk style back anytime you want, it was cool.

A9 I wore the hat because it looked cool and it was kind of the look of Ode To J Smith. I was also growing out my hair. It is long and unkempt now soon to be cut but into what style I am unsure.

Q10 snemzer… What is your favorite medium & place to listen to music? CD? LP? iPod? Earbuds? Headphones? Huge speakers? Car? Studio?

A10 Great question. I would have to say that listening to a song in a studio from analogue tape has to be the best sound. We took some of the master tapes of The Invisible Band and The Man Who into the studio a couple of years ago to get the glass harp sound and e-bow sound from Drfitwood and the string sound from Sing. Nobody uses tape anymore. It sound SO good. There is a quality which cannot be copied digitally and that is the phenomenon of the tracks bleeding together slightly. Tape is physical and the 2 inch tape is split into 24 parts one on top of the other. You can record “the take” and then come in the next day and it magically sounds better. This is because all the tracks sort of merge microscopically. Listening to a song on headphone is also a great experience. When the walkman came along, it was the first time I had listened to music in the way and it kind of blew my mind.

Anyways everyone was a winner today and for that you all get this

DEMO-LICIOUS

17 Responses to “Friday Question Time”

1. Minnmess says:

Noel and Liam in matching jumpers means we are all winners

2. Sue says:

I kinda got confused there cus that young pic was a pic of a Boardie and I had not seen that boardie for some time ….Living and learning :)

3. Kirstin says:

Fran, you mentioned that you are really into Photography (which is awesome btw) Have you tried the “toy” cameras like the Holga? It gives a very cool vignette and blurry look. ( http://www.kirstindougherty.net/2.jpg )

I’m gonna let the Oasis all the way slide though. ;)

4. Rachele says:

Noel’s eyebrows are kind of freaking me out.

5. Cinthya Olguín says:

Thanks for answering, dear Fran. I agree with you, Oasis all the way… though my husband is more like a Blur person, hahahaha, literary and figurately speaking… Loves from both of us!!!

6. joss says:

Thx for Oasis! and for my question:)

7. Sarah- says:

thanks for another interesting read fran, and yay for live forever – i’m so gonna miss that one live…

8. neverAcquiesce says:

The internets are not helping me find a tab for “Holiday.” Any chance you could provide the chords?

9. Thank you muchly for video Fran! It gave me the jim-jams. :)

10. gabitravis says:

Hey Fran! I enjoyed that video so much! I love Oasis… Thanks!
    I dont know if I can ask a question here?
    I have a special connection with “Indefinitely” and Im wondering what inspired you to write it?
    hope you can answer next friday.
    Love from Argentina

11. Bernardo says:

Thanks for the link, Fran! I had never heard that version of the song. I didn’t know about this blog before, I’m loving it! ;-)
    Big hugs

12. Pete Mac says:

Hey Fran,
    Any idea when you’ll be playing some solo shows? Maybe in Berlin…
    Cheers,
    Pete

13. Jack Davis says:

Hi Fran,

First of all I want to say thank you for being such a massive inspiration to me, especially in your songwriting. Along with Queen, Oasis and ELO, Travis have really helped me see a new light on my songs and also give me inspiration, especially when it comes to melodies and structure.

You probably get this all the time, and i know your busy, however, I am in a band from Birmingham and we have done a cover of “Flowers in the window” a great tune. We have done in it our style slightly so some of it is different to how you deliver it. But just give it a listen if you have time, i won’t hold it against you if you don’t fran lol.

P.S vocals are a bit ropey i’ve had a cold i just can’t shake off but there ok.

All the best with the new album and 2010 hope to see Travis around soon.

Cheers Fran,

From Jack Davis (Birmingham) THE MYSPACE IS: http://www.myspace.com/thecrazebandspace

14. L says:

Do you remember that video for Pipe Dreams that used to be up on Travisonline.com? The one with the french CGI bunnies? Any idea on where anyone can find that?

15. Nick Bunyan says:

Hey Fran, My question is when your in Glasgow whats your favorite eating/drinking place

16. Flávia says:

Lucky me, I was searching through this website and I saw your writings for my favorite song, driftwood… wow…

17. dave doo says:

Loved the show in Portland Fran – My wife and I consider it to be the best show we have ever seen together.

Where do you get your hats? Is it a brand, or is there some awesome hat shop that I need to know about?

Love the new music!

FH “This is the shop I get my hats at… It looks like the oldest hat shop in London, tucked away beside Picadilly Circus…