Congrats America (Clean Version)

22 March 2010

I’m impressed with the result of yesterdays healthcare vote. It was hard. Insurance companies are evil and the way the republican party dealt with it all was very disturbing. They pray upon peoples worst fears. It’s shameful.

Congratulations AMERICA. Yet another historic step.

30 Responses to “Congrats America (Clean Version)”

1. Christian says:

Are you seriously out of your mind? Yesterday was an utter disgrace-legislation against the people, not by the people. When the vast majority of Americans as well as congressmen strongly oppose this nightmare, the last thing anyone should be doing is celebrating.

What’s so disturbing with pointing out that we can’t afford any of this? That the plan will not save a dime and will cost billions? That forcing insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions will cause premiums to skyrocket? Obama has taken away some major freedoms. Will any luck, in 2-4 years, we’ll take them back.

Fran says “Yes, I think I am out of my mind. I hope you get your country back soon. It seems this is the democrats Iraq War. It’s an explosive, devisive subject that has divided opinion and when the ball is finally batted back into the Republican court, you’ll get your chance to put things right again. Until then, I wish you and your family good health. “

2. Janalyn says:

Wow thanks for the free advice, Mr. Moore & Mr. Healy. Except we don’t really need it since we’ll be taking back the house, senate, and white house in the next little while here thanks to Democrat overreach and deficit explosion.

In the old US system, I had a tax-free $6500 a year health savings account. Thanks to Obama, that’s now been cut to $2500 max and is likely to go over. That’s the only ‘insurance’ I’ve ever wanted or needed-I’m 35 and have never visited a hospital for myself in my life. I am now going to be forced by law to buy insurance or pay a fine. And of course, I’ll be paying insurance for 32 million deadbeats who either didn’t want it or were too lazy to buy it themselves up till now. This is a major step backwards for our country, fundamentally changing us from a nation with unprecedented freedom to one who is dependent on the state. That is a very bad thing for America
    Fran said “I understand. You feel you have been screwed. You had a tax free $6500. That’s been cut to $2500. I feel bad that you have lost your good deal. Unprecedented freedom though is an illusion. Maybe when you become a billionaire you might come close to unprecedented freedom. Anything below that is smoke and mirrors. But I still feel bad for you that you lost your good deal. Could you possibly show me the piece of paper that explains how your health savings will change. I honestly would like to get as much information as I can to have a better understanding of the no doubt far reaching implications for the folks who are losing out on this new plan.”

3. Gerald N. says:

This is laughable. “America” didn’t pass this atrocity-a tone-deaf senate, president, and congress passed this against the clear will of about 60% of the population. And they were only able to do that by threatening, lying, and bribing everyone they possibly could and by doing their best to obscure the massive cost of this bill. Does anyone really think that insuring 32 million people will reduce the deficit?

As for the politics, this passed on a party-line vote with zero Republican support. It is a deeply unpopular bill whose taxes and draconian regulations (17,000 IRS agents hired but not a single doctor) kick in years before the supposed ‘benefits’ do. Repeal is already discussed very seriously. If the Democrats think Republicans have anything to worry about by opposing this, they’re dead wrong. Democrats 100% own healthcare now. When anyone has a problem with absolutely any of it-and they will-they will blame Democrats for forcing this on them. Insurance companies will rightly point to this legislation when forcing them to not deny coverage due to pre-existing conditions causes premiums to skyrocket. This is already a very unpopular move-in practice, it will be despised. Americans like their freedoms and aren’t used to the government telling us how to live our lives.

So thanks for the advice, but no thanks. We’ll take it from here.

4. Mili says:

Good news for Americans!

I agree with you about Michael Moore, but he put it quite nicely in the text you linked.

5. F N Gamboa says:

The Republicans have had how many chances to get one through ? For the people saying they don’t like the government telling em what to do , I sure recall the previous administration letting a select few tell the rest of us what we can and can’t do . The Republican supportors forget the people of the US voted them out . It’s all sour grapes .

6. Dr. Mrsatoe says:

Hmm..Fran, as much as I respect you as a singer and human being, sometimes I get the impression that you only touch the surface on events in the US and world, which if fine…but you’ve pretty much paraphrased what Moore wrote and then you paraphrased what Janalyn already said! Are you sure you understand?

I support the bill, but I’ve done a good bit of research. If you’re really that interested, do your own — not from word of mouth either —I don’t know, seems to me your easily swayable without having the knowledge to back it up.

Fran said “My opinions are formed from personal experience. If someone says something I agree with, then it’s not the same as being swayed by their opinion. To be swayed by their opinion would surely mean I had a differing opinion before hearing what they had to say.
    My personal experience of a government run healthcare system is thus. The UK healthcare system under right wing and left wing rule is a great thing, contrary to what the republicans would have their voters believe with stories of “death panels” etc. Believe it or not Capitalism can survive with sprinkles of socialism.
    Just out of interest, what is your personal experience of a national healthcare system?”

7. Redly Spent says:

Yes, damn a healthcare system that tries to provide healthcare for the lowlife poor. A system that tries to stop hard working insurance companies from posting profits of billions, and takes from the more fortunate to help life’s losers. That’s not freedom. Obama is a dirty communist trying to take away the right of poor people to die early and miserably!

And yes, we are (or at least, were) a nation with unprecedented freedom. Although I’ve never travelled outside the US (I’m afraid I won’t be able to get back in, as my visa got stolen by a scumbag homeless mental case, and I’ve been battling bureaucracy for the past 8 years trying to get a new one…I’m currently in the court of appeal at a personal cost of $256,000), everyone knows that.

8. Kirstin says:

Thanks Fran for the link! I think he put it well. I actually am very excited about the bill. I don’t think it’s fair that someone who lives in such a rich country should have to consider not taking care of their health because they don’t have the money.

A doctor shouldn’t compromise his/her care by not ordering so many tests or medicine for someone because they don’t have insurance. Why should someone not get the best care for their health? Just because a person has enough money or a job with benefits doesn’t mean they should have better care than someone who doesn’t have health insurance! When you come down to it, they are both the same. They are both humans. Not everyone who doesn’t have insurance is a deadbeat who was too lazy to pay for it. Millions of people are out of jobs, work for a job that doesn’t have benefits, or simply can’t afford insurance. Depending on the insurance policy, many college students will be dropped from their parent’s insurance due to their age. Isn’t it bad enough if they are one of the many who have to take out insane loans just afford to go to school?

This new bill can save millions of lives. People who wouldn’t get the medecine they need to live because it costs too much money can now do so. Imagine how many people die of cancer because they couldn’t afford to go to a doctor in the beginning stages or they couldn’t afford the surgeries and treatment. Some guy who just had a heart attack due to stressing about how little money his family has will not have a second (and perhaps deadly) heart attack when he sees his hospital bill.

This really is the Democrats Iraq war, but instead of trying to save the lives and take care of the people in Iraq, we are trying to save lives and take care of the people in our own country.

9. Kayte (Turtleneck) says:

I’m not sure how this will affect me yet. My family is one of the many “under-insured.” We are a one-income household with 3 young children and pay for our health insurance ourselves. Last year we got a letter saying that our premiums were going to rise 40% starting the next month. (This was not because of anything we did, the company raised nearly everyone’s rates.) So, now we pay $600 a month for insurance that does not cover office visits or even annual check-ups. If someone has to see the doctor, tack on another $85-$100 to that, and if we need a prescription, we have to pay about half of that cost. Our insurance is there mainly to save us from going broke if anything catastrophic were to happen. I hope we can either find a better rate, or get more coverage. I feel like all we do is pay and pay, but I don’t want to be without any coverage in case something terrible were to happen to one of us and we ended up in the hospital.
    Fran says “Are you one of the 31 million people this reform is attempting to help or do you feel you may fall through the cracks.”

10. Erik Swanson says:

Hello Fran!

As you can tell from your posts that many people are passionate about this issue. Does this bill help people, potentially, but what is the cost? I am not in favor of the insurance industry who looks at profit as the bottom line.

I tend to look at past behavior as what the future behavior will bring. Two social programs that we have had for many years (social security and medicare) had the best intentions when they were created and had full support from both parties. The problem? both are on the road to bankruptcy. I dont’ trust the US government to run anything with a 12 TRILLION dollar defecit currently.

I favor government regulation instead of government control. There are a couple of things that could be tried that didn’t cost the people anything. Limiting the cost of lawsuits which puts a ceiling on how much one can sue.(which brings down the cost for insurance that doctors must have) and have health insurance be sold across state lines. In the united states, only states can provide its citizens with health care. Car insurance and life insurance can be bought from anywhere. I live in Connecticut but I get my car insurance and life insurance from the BIG STATE OF TEXAS…yeeeeee hah!!!!!

I will concede and give this a try, but I don’t have faith in government because afterall, its run by people.

Hope you are well and I can’t wait for the new tunes Fran

Swanny

Fran says “Yes you’re right. People are by their very nature, greedy, lustful creatures. Let’s hope the Obama administration don’t screw it.”

11. Dr.Mrsatoe says:

Okay, so maybe “sway” was the wrong word. I apologize. I don’t believe I need “personal” exprience of a national healthcare system. I have experienced enough in my life, including a near-death hospialization visit where I did in fact have insurance to know that the current system is fucked. Have you experienced such in the US. I also have three siblings who work in the medical field and that’s not to be obnoxious or name drop. So, like yourself, its from personal experience. But it’s also from infromation gathering from official sources as well. I’m sorry if I jumped to conclusions, I should have thought out it more before typing. I guess just by your post, I got the impression you thought things would change overnight in America, but many complexities are on the horizon. We Americans are mouthy people. And yes, a little socialism sprinkled in the right way never hurt anyone.
    Fran says “I’m not sure what gave you the idea that I thought things would change overnight. I thought it would take another 4 years for this to become law. Or am I relying on bad information?”

12. Alia says:

Sorry about the rant to come – but thanks for your congratulations, Fran. I couldn’t agree with you more.

I am an American medical student, and it was such an enormous relief to see the bill pass. yes, it’s flawed – but less so than our current system that just does not work. Because of what I do, because of a year I spent working in a free clinic run by medical students, I had plenty of chances to see what happens when people slip through the cracks of the system.

It’s so easy for people to disagree with Obama’s ideas if they are fortunate enough to be able to buy insurance or have an employer that provides them with it. I guess none of the people who have so far angrily commented here have pre-existing conditions or had to put off going to see a doctor because they can’t afford the service. I’ve seen too many people rejected by insurance companies because they have preexisting conditions – basically telling people who are sick that too bad, they just have to make do. I mean, really?

I would not have been able to afford insurance – I’m pretty poor – if it weren’t for the medical school that I attend. Doesn’t mean I’d be too lazy or unwilling to buy it – but when it comes to choosing between insurance and rent I’d rather not live on the street. it’s amazing for me to see otherwise kind and considerate people going batshit when it’s even suggested that people should be able to access healthcare despite their net worth or the current health state.

Oh, and it’s easy to say that you only have insurance that you ‘need’ because you never visited a hospital. So far in medicine I’ve seen that no one ever plans to get sick, everyone assumes they will always be fine. Well, when the unexpected happens and they are slammed with the bills or refused coverage – then what?

Again, this bill is flawed and imperfect, indeed. But at least it shows the willingness to move in the right direction – more than the Republicans have been willing to do when they held office.

FH says “And my life drawings??:)”

13. John Patrick says:

Fran, don’t you think your comment is a little over-simplified? Anyway, I hope you’re not like Michael Stipe who directly asked people who supported Republicans to not buy his material and stay away from his shows. Your music has been very meaningful to me for many years…and I strongly dissaprove of moving our country to a socialist approach. That’s okay, right?
    FH says “Saying well done is simple. Not sure how I could expand upon that. I trust Obama and I am a liberal minded person. If this healthcare ends in a terrible way, like the Iraq war for instance, I will be the first to say Obama Administration got it wrong. Michael Stipe may have been against the Republicans but he sure as hell enjoyed the massive tax breaks afforded to him by the Bush administration. Anyways, peace.”

14. Erik Swanson says:

hey Fran

it is now law, but we need to pay into the system for 4 years before we see the benfits
    FH says “Thanks.”

15. Anne says:

I personally am happy that it passed. No it’s not perfect but it was clear to me that SOMETHING needed to be done about our system. Waiting until every kink had been worked out and every permutation has been thought out and agreed upon just doesn’t seem plausible so I am glad it will go into motion and can be modified as time goes on.

16. Nikki says:

Right on, Fran. Totally agree with you.

17. christine says:

honesty i don’t really know what to think. i like the thought of everyone having access to health care, but i fear the quality of care will diminish. everyone at work is saying that employers are going to stop offering health care since now individuals can just go with the government plan. is the government plan going to be as good as what a company can offer through group rates? probably not. i’ve heard such differing things (for example, people won’t be denied coverage for pre-existing issues vs. only children won’t be denied.) i don’t know what to believe. i do want the best for the citizens, but i don’t want to be screwed either.. which is probably how a lot of people feel. there is so much rhetoric that i guess my stance is that we’ll just have to wait and see how it comes out. i’m undecided at this point. for the record, i wouldn’t necessarily congratulate america on this bill passing, i’d congratulate the house of reps of america. i, like many others i’ve talked to, really don’t feel like the people have much of a say for many things the government decides to do. many people i’ve talked with feel like government officials just do what’s best for themselves, taking bribes, wheeling and dealing..

18. Nikki says:

“I can’t help but think the people lining up to oppose this bill also would have fought against the Women’s Rights Movement, Social Security, the Civil Rights Movement, Medicare … yet they supported a massive waste of money on a war in Iraq.”

19. Melinda says:

Fran,

I believe that a step in the right direction was made by this vote, but I am personally very disappointed with what actually passed.

Perhaps this is because I believe in fully socialized medicine. My expectations were quite high for Obama when he came into office. I think he had incredible ideas, but perhaps didn’t realize just how obstructionist his own party as well as the republicans would be. The unbelievable scare tactics used on both sides really worked. The bill that went through feels merely like a consolation prize.

I do not believe that health insurance should be a “for profit” business. I believe that it’s a human service. This is not to say that doctors and researchers should not make a good living. I am saying that CEO’s of big insurance companies and hospital organizations should not be taking home a million or more a year. I don’t believe drug companies should be publicly traded.

I believe that no matter who you are, you are entitled to the same level of health care that everyone else is, whether you can pay for it or not.

I am one of the lucky ones. I work for a large company and my insurance premium is $26 every two weeks, while they pick up the other $175 per month. I have copays for my visits and medications that are very very reasonable. I am happy about this. This is what I would like to see for everyone. But unless you work for a large company, you typically don’t get these kinds of benefits. This is where I think the government needs to step in and take care of it’s tax payers.

I am grateful that they put some INSURANCE reforms in this bill, particular with the denials of coverage and pre-existing conditions.

I understand that change is incremental, and our very broken system will take a long time to change, but to me, this just wasn’t enough for me to be satisfied with. A step in the right direction, yes.

You actually live in the country that I would most like to live in outside of the US. I believe the German system is very good and successful and from the research I’ve done, it seems like a FAIR system. I think that’s what we lack here in the states.

Back in the early 60’s, Ronald Regan made a record speaking out against Medicare and Socialized Medicine all together. It’s frightening to listen to. You may want to have a listen at some point:

The same type of fear mongering that is happening today was happening 50 years ago. It’s too bad.

20. Kayte (Turtleneck) says:

In response, we may very well fall through the cracks, Fran. It is easy to fall into the bitter “poor middle class” mentality and think that if my husband made a few thousand dollars a year less per year, we’d qualify for all sorts of government programs and tax breaks and such that we end up paying for and others benefit from. But you know, I’ve got a roof over my head, a car in the driveway, 3 beautiful children who don’t have to go to day care because I can stay home with them, food on my table, and enough money left over for a Travis concert or 3 last year. To ask for more or expect more would be crazy. My health insurance isn’t perfect. I can handle that. I’m fortunate in so many other ways.

21. Alissa says:

Thanks,Fran! I am very relieved it passed. Your comments are spot on.

22. hennypenny says:

Thanks for letting us know what you think Fran. I’m one of those people who isn’t exactly sure how this new law will affect me. I currently have medical insurance through my work. Hopefully this will not be affected by rising premiums or decreased coverage. It has always been my thought/opinion that everyone under the age of 18 should have guranteed health coverage. Also, no one should have to choose between getting medicine or buying food for their family.

23. Katie says:

I’m hopeful that it is a step in the right direction.

The NHS is one of the many things I miss about the UK. When I first moved to Scotland I was initially shocked that I didn’t need to worry about insurance and being able to afford health care. I just simply went to the Dr and was well-looked after. And as an American, I wasn’t treated any differently from the UK citizens. My first baby was born there and I couldn’t find any fault with the system.

Now we’re in the US and my husband, who left a great paying job back in Glasgow, is struggling to find a job that will allow us to afford insurance (it doesn’t help any that employers around here think that because he has such a thick Scottish accent, that it means that he’s not a native English speaker, so they don’t hire him etc) so he’s not been able to see a Dr since we left the UK. It is very worrying and stressful, and all we can think about is moving back.

When I get a bit more time, I need to read up a bit more on what is all involved, but I am still hopeful that it is a step in the right direction.

24. Melissam317 says:

I know its a touchy subject for everyone especially Americans living through the days of “whats next” in our everchanging government but one can only hope that this healthcare bill can only be a step forward for us. I am a college student who is up to my ears in debt from taking out endless loans and without healthcare. I work two jobs, without benefits, and always have to guess when I get sick if its worth paying a shit ton of money to see how sick I really am. Sometimes I just have to let my body be the best defense. I would like to think that Obama is going in the right direction and hate it when others put him down when he cannot make miracles happen overnight. Fran I have to agree with what you said and although its a little sketchy its better than what everyone had before. As far as the war goes it started off as Bush’s fight. I just hope there is an end in the near future and the troops can return home for good, though they just can’t pull them out without consequences. I am sorry if I offend anyone but I am definately not lazy or dead beat just a little unfortunate. Fingers crossed that it will be a great American milestone and not a disaster! Can’t wait for the album Fran! x

25. hui says:

I’m a little bit surprised reading some of the comments above..quite aggressive. maybe cos it’s something to do with their money. hmm..

I also think obama’s healthcare bill is right thing to do. People have right to live no matter how much money they got. It’s not fair if they have to suffer when they can’t get medical care because of money. In my country, healthcare system is run by government so you can get medical care whenever you need it at a low cost.. but still there are people who can’t go to hospital cos it’s expensive(like a cancer or something like that). It’s sad.

you know what the saddest part is? Damn president of my country tries to reverse it! like America before! so I should get high cost insurance! He’s on the wealthy men and companies’ side, not on people’s side. 🙁

26. stephie says:

People fear what they don’t know, Fran. Here in the states, the healthcare reform bill has been so hotly debated and sensationalized on both sides, most people simply don’t know what to think about it. So — rather than try to understand it (to see if any of it makes sense), it’s far easier to just oppose any change at all to the current for-profit private healthcare system. Even if it means that millions in this country suffer and die needlessly every day, while the insurance companies (and their shareholders) earn huge profits. 🙁

As far as nationalized healthcare goes, that’s not a perfect system either. But in my experience, MOST of the people who have lived in a place with nationalized healthcare would not choose to go without it, and certainly would not want to change to the American-style private system.

Each journey begins with a single step. The debate is far from over, but at least we have achieved this first step.

27. Andrew says:

Fran,
    I love your music my friend… but your we don’t need your political advice for sure. The American people did not want this health care bill… and we definitely didn’t need it. Let’s hope it does not bankrupt our country.
    Fran Says “I’m not doling out political advice. If I was, you would be spitting feathers. As far as bankrupting your country goes, the last administration racked up $900 billion on the Iraq war. Actually, this is my blog. I can say what I like. If you don’t like it, “my friend”, you can go elsewhere”

28. Jasmine says:

Fran, thank you for using your voice. You used it against the war in Iraq and you were right. You’ve used it again, and you’re right. I always connect with other Travis fans because I think your music is something that brings people together, but those who want to say that you shouldn’t use your voice just because you are a musician and not a politician are on the wrong side of history. Never let their negativity silence you.

My mother died in 2008 because Blue Cross/Blue Shield denied her treatment for ovarian cancer. She was 44. I was 22. Your music has come through so many times for me while I grieve her absence. I know your voice, music, and message is a light for me and for many other fans.

Fran says “That is terrible. Are Blue Cross/Blue Shield an insurance company?”

29. Jasmine says:

Blue Cross/Blue Shield was her insurance company. They managed everything she got in regards to treatment, and anything that wasn’t just regular chemotherapy was turned down as “experimental.” I paid for as much as I could with money I squirreled away from student grants and credit cards, but eventually that ran out and there was nothing left to do. My Dad left my mom a little after I was born, so he wasn’t around. Now it’s just me. Despite the imperfections of the bill, I know that it gives people the tools to fight for the lives of their loved ones. I’m so happy it passed.

30. Students applying for student loans in school what are the requirements?