Our Back Yard Got Ripped Apart

19 March 2010

Last week, 2 men rolled into our communal back yard here in Berlin, tooled up with chainsaws and hatchets. Some property developers are about to rip the place apart to build some pokey apartments. That’s a reality in Berlin and I kind of resigned myself to it but it was sad to see what they did. The men spent 5 days tearing these two massive wall climbers down. They had grown there for 40 years. Hundreds of birds and bats nested there.

18 Responses to “Our Back Yard Got Ripped Apart”

1. ryan patrick cleary says:

I hope you beat that dudes ass!

2. Nora says:

Arses!

Could she do something about it? Police? I hate those kinds of ppl!

Fran said ” Police came and she is maybe going to pursue it further but then it’s alot of stress. Sometimes it’s best to leave it to karma but she’s still thinking about it.”

3. Nora says:

oh..the pic is cool though…i’d have it rather with the wall climbers tho

4. Art says:

That’s terrible.

5. three hours says:

How dare they touch her?!?!?!?!
    This is horrible! I’m really pissed off right now.

6. Jay Parker says:

omg, I do hope he didn’t hurt Nora… 🙁

7. Sarah- says:

oh no, that sounds horrible… especially the last bit :/

8. Barry says:

Dirty fooker’s, thats shocking they can just roll in and do that. You should have karate chopped their asses Fran. Hurry up with the record cant wait to hear it. Any idea when it’ll be available? bx

9. o_unico says:

“Nora took some pictures out on the street of them filling their huge truck. When she turned her camera on the two guys, lazily leaning against their van, the bigger one ran at her, grabbed her wrist and twisted it behind her head. Nice people.”
    And you jus watched?
    Fran Said “I was in the house you knobhead. Go and have a shower”

Well, what a vicious thing to do to Nora, please give her my best wishes. Maybe the destructive, careless nature of their job infiltrates their manners. Shame on them.

11. Sue says:

I am still in mourning from the tree that got removed at the end of my road and the realisation it is not a one off…..scary very scary . In UK I suppose we still have little notices pinned about and the earless local council do put up a very good ‘tickets only’ drama of hearing objections .

12. jenser says:

it’s the beginning of the end of the real berlin. sad.

13. DanInCologne says:

Hi Fran. Makes me so angry and upset the way these bastards have no respect for nature or other people. Hope Nora’s wrist is ok. Completely representative of how business and bulldozers often work hand in hand to destroy the simple, beautiful things in life – the things that provide others with basic pleasures and creatures with basic habitat needs. Another ‘small’ example is here from my home town’s online paper: http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/5074012.Portslade_wildlife_haven__wrecked__by_buldozer/.

Anyway – keep up the good blog; following you on twitter now.

14. Martina says:

Aw that’s sad when they do these things. And poor Nora!

15. Ida says:

That’s so sad – and sorry to hear what they did to your fiancee

16. o_unico says:

Sorry if I was misunderstood, I didn’t want to bother you. English is not my first language.
    Maybe the short lenght of my post did this.
    All I wanted to ask was if you called the police or registered the action in video or photos.

17. Elodie says:

Give my best to Nora. And I really hope she doesn’t think too much about that…

18. Mili says:

I suppose those idiots were just following orders with the plant, but they have no business of using violence against people. Sorry to hear about Nora’s wrist and the loss of your view. I fully understand if she doesn’t want to get more stress by pursuing the matter, but it might bug more in the long run if nothing is done.