Next Week Is Busy

26 September 2010

I’m flying back to London tomorrow. Mum has been in Berlin this weekend. Clay ran her ragged. She leaves tomorrow too. Me and Nora went to see Toy Story 3 on Saturday. It was very good. I started crying within the first 3 minutes of the movie when Woody reacts to Andy’s voice on the telephone. That is some fantastic animation to imbue so much emotion on the face of a cgi representation of a toy. There were a couple of quite dark passages which I thought would give little kids nightmares. There were toddlers in the cinema who were clearly terrified during these scenes. Parents, don’t you know you’re eroding your kids innocence? That shit is precious… it’s like they have had their own innocence obliterated so much they cannot see properly anymore this pure beautiful soul in front of their eyes. The man sitting next to us had no expression on his face as he told us his 4 year old was very very scared. Gaahh!! Anyways, the film is amazing. Go and see it if you haven’t already.

So Monday thru Friday is looking busy. I am doing a radio show tomorrow on radio 2 at around 5.50/6pm. Simon Mayo. Listen if you want. I have to do a cover. I wanted to do that one by The La’s but it was too obscure. Then I chose a Keane song but that was also not a single… it is for The Great British song thing they are doing. So I had a look at the list of songs which had already been covered and then it came to me in a flash… Superman by Black Lace… Joking… I won’t say what I am covering but it is from 1987 and was a song I really loved that year. 1987. I was 14.

21 Responses to “Next Week Is Busy”

Toy Story 3 is amazing, I cried a few times, but I completely agree about a few scenes in it that could disturb young minds. My daughter is 12, so she was okay, but she did find some parts quite edgy and she did shed tears. Even at 12 you have to be mindful of things that can disturb them or be too emotional. Some of those scenes were way too dark for the little ones to watch. It annoys and saddens me so much when parents don’t have any respect or care for the welfare of children when they are exposed to TV, films and video games that are inappropriate. Once that innocence has gone there’s no getting it back for them. You’re not the only one saying “gaaah”

I was 14 in 1987 too. My guess is you’re doing Pet Shop Boys, It’s a Sin. x

2. Aimee (Dolly Mixed Up Girl) says:

Look forward to the Simon Mayo show – I shall be listening ahead of your gig at The Garage on Thursday! 🙂

3. swan269 says:

Hey Fran

I felt a little foolish when i saw the movie “up” and I got a little
    teary eyed when the wife died and she hadn’t been to the falls. Emotions
    are emotions…what can you do?

4. Dave says:

Hi Fran, I took my 4 year old daughter to see Toy Story 3, she didn’t find it scary at all, she just thought the teddy was being mean by letting the gang go into the flames at the end of the film. Kids films can’t be nicey nice all the time, and maybe it’s a good way of teaching children right from wrong!
    Yes it is a great film and even better in 3D, I am always blown away by the quality of these cgi films, love it.

5. franhealy says:

I think it’s a parents job to teach kids right from wrong. Not Disney.

6. Dave says:

I agree, it is the parents job to teach kids right from wrong, it doesn’t hurt to have it re-affirmed from other sources though!
    Unfortunately kids do grow up too fast these days, and they are way more aware of things at a young age, than I was!

Dave, with respect, I think childrens films should be nicey nice all the time. There are more gentle ways of putting messages across without creating scenes that are so dark, ie: the toys heading towards certain death by flames in TS3. If I remember rightly it was a U certificate as well. If I had taken a youngster to see it I would have been very concerned. Again, with respect.

8. Pat says:

You might of cried because of randy newman’s great soundtrack. I think you will play crowded house, dont dream its over. Its the kind of sob-rock thats right down your alley 😀 😀

9. isabel says:

i remember when my youngest daughter watched the little mermaid with my older one and her heart went really fast when the witch came on – i felt so guilty – my oldest is way more innocent ‘cos everything was introduced to her at the right stage …

10. Sarah- says:

lovely “wonderful life” cover! <3

11. elham says:

you cried on a movie?wow…
    I didn’t think that you’re emotional like this…!

12. Dave says:

Sammy, your correct the film was a U certification, which should be ok for children aged 4 and over.
    My daughter is very quick to tell us if she doesn’t like something, like Dr Who, Merlin, Primevial, etc (which we don’t let her watch by the way), so I know she would of told me in the cinema if she was scared, belive me, if my daughter was even slightly upset I would of taken her out straight away.
    I never saw any children in the cinema getting upset, maybe we worry too much, maybe it’s their innocence that doesn’t see the dark bit’s like we do.

13. Jeff says:

Is it “Here I Go Again” by Whitesnake? No?

14. Steve says:

Fran, is there any way we can get tickets for this gig of yours at the garage in London on Thursday? Are they going to be on sale anywhere?
    It seemed they were only open to people who pre-ordered from HMV, and we’d already ordered via recordstore weeks earlier.

15. Steve says:

Thanks so much.

16. leigh says:

took my 4 year old to see it and while she loved the film, she was pretty scared at the angry bear. i always, always think about her innocence and try to relate it to how i was feeling at 4 or 5. i was so much more naive than her and i really feel horrible for robbing her of that naivety sometimes. i know that the world is different today – but i loved my childhood and i want my baby girl to love hers. i need to be more protective. she could stand to spend some more time with her own imagination. it’s pretty great. she writes/draws me sweet little books and they’re so funny and wise. children truly do remind us of how life should be.

17. franhealy says:

We got rid of our TV’s when Clay was born. We figured we should just play more.

I think being a parent is the hardest yet most rewarding job in the world, but nobody prepares you for it!

Fran, I think children love playing with their parents far more than they can love any TV show.

19. pcg says:

FWIW, my two-year-old loved Toy Story 3 both times she saw it and didn’t have any scary moments or the like. Just like anything else, I think it depends on the child and the responsibility for providing appropriate content continues to fall on the parents.

As for the cover song from 1987, what about “Alone” by Heart?

FH “Hmmm and Hmmm. I would say if a kid has been exposed to modern tv then Toy Story is a walk in the park. Does the 2 year old watch any tv? The cover I did was Wonderful Life by Black.”

20. franhealy says:

That’s kind of what I was saying…