The La’s

19 September 2010

Andy MacDonald is a name not many will know but as an A+R man he has an ear for a certain type of group. Many of the groups he signed had been passed up on or simply overlooked. His first signing was Billy Bragg, he signed The Housemartins (which would spawn The Beautiful South and a decade later ex member Norman Cook would create Fatboy Slim) In the late 80’s Andy signed The La’s. They would make one album. I think their singer Lee Maver’s is one of the best songwriters Britain every put out. Here they are in 1989 singing Looking Glass. A good example of lyric and chord welded together perfectly. If the guitar chords could be translated into english you would get the lyrics and vice versa. A work of pure non thought. Amazing.

6 Responses to “The La’s”

1. happytohangaround says:

Now I remember their song ‘There She Goes’ was on a TV Show (Gilmore Girls).I really liked that song.But I didn’t know anything about the band.

2. Sarah- says:

there she goes <3 the la's are great πŸ™‚

3. minacco_ says:

amazingly powerful! I’m sorry I didn’t have a chance to see their show at that time. But fortunately, I could finally see them in 2005 when they came to Japan πŸ™‚ All songs are still perfectly beautiful and powerful. just like their song title ‘timeless melody’. I love Lee Mavers.

4. Lila says:

I absolutely LOVE the Housemartins! They’ve written some gorgeous songs, esp. “Build”

5. David says:

Have to agree with you about The La’s, Fran. That one album is packed with some great tunes. It’s unfortunate that is all that we got from them.

6. Peter says:

Billy Bragg is great. Last time I saw him he joked about being at a point in his career where he doesn’t have to do a cover of “Halleleujah”… Yet. Great musician and quite the funny man.