CHRISTMAS 2010

16 January 2011

I’m writing from bed. I can hear Clay playing downstairs and the occasional car roll by on the cobbles. Christmas 2010 was very cool. We had my mum and Nora’s mum over on the 25th. I had some strange flu type thing which meant I was in bed alot over those couple of days… A week before christmas Clay asked me if Santa was real. I said “Ummm…. welllll… he is and he isn’t” and Clay said “He is! He’s real… He iiiisss” So this was our first Santa Christmas. We hadn’t written a letter to Santa so I thought we would call him and ask if it was too late to write. The call was very cool. Santa told us that we could write still and he would see if he could get what Clay wanted. That evening Clay wrote a letter and on the reverse side, stuck a cut out of a catalogue picture of what he wanted just so there was no confusion. We hung it on the tree and left a small glass of wine (Santa’s request) some water and some cranberries for the reindeer. Clay asked if Santa could leave his letter on the tree as he wanted to keep the picture. In the morning, the water and wine had been drunk, the cranberries eaten.

Clay woke me at 4am on Christmas morning. “Papa…” he whispered. We stayed in bed till six at which point I told him to wake Nora and Nana and stay upstairs while I checked downstairs. We hadn’t heard anything those last 2 hours. I went downstairs, gently picked up my sleigh bells, quietly made the hall look like some almighty ruckus had occurred, shoes strewn everywhere, sledge fallen over and front door wide open. Then I gave a howl of surprise, banged the living room door shut, shook the sleigh bells (then stashed them) and lay down on the hall floor like i’d been knocked over in the chaos. Santa had left the building. Clay and Nora and Nana came down. Cold wind and snow blew in from the open door. “I think I disturbed Santa” I said… “Let’s go in to see if he left anything” The living room was still. Beneath the tree lay a large parcel. Clay flipped out, and dragged it into the middle of the room. Brown Teddy and Brown Eddie helped us unwrap. Clay yelped when he saw Santa had managed to find the thing he wanted. The next hour was spent connecting train track and constructing a Playmobil train station. Then we played. Then I lay down on the sofa and watched, then I finally had to go and lie down in bed proper while nana took over.

21 Responses to “CHRISTMAS 2010”

1. Stacy says:

incredibly sweet and magical!

2. Kelly says:

Awww…I have to say I miss those magical days. But I didn’t mind sleeping in until 8 this Christmas! ; )

Treasure these memories because a little bit of that magic disappears unfortunately as they get older. Clay had obviously been a good boy all year for Santa to bring him a present 🙂 Did Santa leave anything for you too?

4. leigh says:

these are truly the most wonderful years. oh to bottle that joy. xx

5. elcin says:

Cute!..You are the best papa ever!

6. Amy Humphrey says:

Ahhh, brilliant! What a lovely read! Cheered me immensely, as our Christmas didn’t go so well.

So sorry to hear you’ve been ill…hope you’re feeling much better! Here’s to a happy and healthy 2011!

7. Mili says:

Good job, Fran!

In Finland Santa comes in person in the evening of 24th, that’s pretty scarey for the kids. My hunbby is English, and if we’re there we have the English Christmas, that is, no visible Santa. My explanation for the nippers is, that since Santa lives in the Finnish Lapland, he starts from there, and has time to visit in person in the north. By the time he’s finished with the north, it’s getting too late to see people, so he starts to visit when they’re asleep. That’s why Christmas is celebrated on different days in different countries.

8. Mandy says:

Heh, suddenly makes me quite broody. Christmas just isnt the same without kids around is it? Loving the effort of creating the scene of santa having been, must remember that! Glad you had a lovely christmas. 🙂

9. gotta say, you went the extra mile like only a great dad could… and that has nothing to do with anything else you are that I’d say that… if Joe Schmoe had told me that story, I’d have said the same. Clay’s a lucky dude!

10. Sarah- says:

that’s so very sweet, fran. god, i miss those times when i was a child and christmas was approaching… it has kinda lost its magic during the last years, but i guess as soon as i have my own family, it will be wonderful again 🙂 thanks for sharing the story, it really made me smile! oh, and i used to be obsessed with playmobil in the 90s, hehe.

11. Luke says:

Awesomeness. Christmas at that age is just pure magic. Is Santa in Germany different in any way to British/American Santa?

12. jocelyn says:

ohhh….clay is so cute!!!and you are a great Papa!!! =D

13. RowGirl says:

Precious! It is amazing that you are able to document this. Some day Clay will be able to relive all of these wonderful memories.

14. Rachel says:

So cute Fran! I love it!
    Christmas is so fun when you have children!
    So kinda unrealted i have to ask. I thought I saw Dougie sitting at Stephen Spielberg’s table at the Golden Globes! Was that really HIM!! It made my night!

15. Kirstin says:

That was an adorable story. Having a little one around makes you enjoy Christmas a lot more when you are older.

It would be cool it every year you have Clay make an ornament of what he wants from Santa and save them. I am sure he would love to see them when he is a lot older. They would bring back a lot of sweet memories from when he was a child.

16. Sue says:

Thats so funny …The wine……Who drank it?…Santa was a lot quieter than you! haha

17. hayjude99 (Hunter) says:

@Sarah Could you say you were… Tied to the 90’s??? lol bad pun, good song, great artist, and seems like a wonderful dad. Late Happy Christmas Fran. Your son seems like a “Free Soul”… another bad pun, another great song…

18. Tim Q says:

What was Dougie doing at the Golden Globes in the USA this week? Pure class.

19. Stephy says:

Great job for your kid…the magical Xmas every child should live =)

20. Ranajeet says:

Nice to see Fran healy the father in action. 🙂

21. James Butler says:

ok, totally unrelated…

Clay’s first gig..

how old and who would you like him to see?

James